Horizon 8 Licensing Question

FFulde
Go to solution Solved by Gerard Strouth,

Hello everyone,

we are currently evaluating where to take our VDI situation. We are currently running on "Horizon Standard Term Licenses - Concurrent Users"

However I've found some conflicting resources in different licensing matrixes.

image.png.411e4037880174fb8da628773817bff5.png

On VMware Horizon Pricing Packaging and Licensing (PPL) White Paper here it says Session Based Desktops  (Terminal Server Farms) are supported for Horizon Standard.

image.png.bff3c924a7f93bc17874d0f2e14aad8d.png

On vmw-horizon-perpetual-and-subscription-term-feature-comparison.pdf (vmware.com) it says that Session Based Desktops (Terminal Server Farms) are not supported.

Can anyone help me out here? I can create Farms in the Admin Center just fine, Applications, I cannot create because we don't have Horizon Advanced and it gives me a warning.

So the question is "Am I allowed to create and use RDS Farms and Pools on Horizon Standard or would we need to upgrade to Advanced?"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rob,

yes it was the packaging guide if I remember correctly - the link was still working when I posted this. 

Anyways, thanks for clearing up my question. Time to upgrade then since we have to let go of our Standard Term licenses in May 2025 anyways since the support runs out then and our licensing partner assured us we will not be able to renew Term licenses and we apparently were lucky to have renewed them in May 2022.

• Employee
On 7/26/2024 at 11:29 AM, FFulde said:

Hi Rob,

yes it was the packaging guide if I remember correctly - the link was still working when I posted this. 

Anyways, thanks for clearing up my question. Time to upgrade then since we have to let go of our Standard Term licenses in May 2025 anyways since the support runs out then and our licensing partner assured us we will not be able to renew Term licenses and we apparently were lucky to have renewed them in May 2022.

I think Perhaps the partner was getting confused with Horizon Perpetual? Horizon Perpetual SNS won’t be supported after August 2025. We have not announced any plans to discontinue Horizon Term.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

We would like to upgrade our 
Horizon 8 Advanced Term per Concurrent User 1 year term license to 350 users.

How much vsan data storage per user is included in omnissa Horizon 8
Advanced/ Advanced Term include?

We think approx. 350 users x 100 GB = 35 TB 
VMware vSAN™Advanced for Desktop Subscription Term only.

Is the Strech Cluster function included in this version?

How can I license another 20 TB VMware vSAN™Advanced for Desktop Subscription Term only?

André Knoll
Medical Informatics

HBK Verwaltung und Bildung gemeinnützige GmbH
Karl-Keil-Straße 35 | 08060 Zwickau
Location Zwickau: House 23 | Ground floor | Room 006
Phone: 0375 51-2698 | Fax: 0375 51-1521
E-mail: andre.knoll@hbk-zwickau.de