Copy images to new Provider

Dan White
Go to solution Solved by Dan White,

I am in the process of moving our Horizon Cloud service from one Azure region to another. I opened a case some time ago about the process and I don't believe many people have attempted this.

The basic steps from the case:

1.  Create a new provider
  2.  Deploy a new Edge
  3.  Create new pools
  4.  Decommission old pools
  5.  Decommission old Edge
  6.  Decommission old Provider

I have completed steps one and two. The Issue now is I have some heavily customized imaged that I need to deploy to pools in the new region. I was under the assumption that images in Next-Gen were universal and could be deployed to any infrastructure. This is not the case. It appears that the images are locked to one Provider/Edge.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it possible to allow an image to be deployed to multiple Providers/Edges?
  2. Can you "clone" an image to a new Provider/Edge?
  3. How do you tell what Provider/Edge an image is tied to? This appears to only be visible when creating an image
    image.png.c72a8aa1db2876c3a35775547fd0aae0.png
    image.png.e65f38d0b05cf661ecf4cf3ccb2fa9aa.png

Thanks in advance,

Dan

• Solution

I believe I have stumbled upon the answer myself. You go into the image and republish. You can then publish the image to multiple Edges:

image.png.e919923a518c5445b7135b4b041e1cd7.png

There does not seem to be an easy way to list where all the images are published. You need to click each image individually.

Edited by Dan White

Glad you figured it out.

Horizon Cloud next-gen's Image management for Azure is essentially just a UI for Azure's compute gallery and it uses API calls to utilize native Azure compute gallery features.  If you go into Azure portal and go into Azure compute galleries, you can see it all there, but it's all essentially the same information. *Don't modify anything in there though in Azure, haha

image.thumb.png.1d49961032d4128dd4509b8ac37949a1.png

@VDINinja3 Thanks for that info! I was wondering where the images went after I migrated to Next-Gen.

I am running into a new issue... My images were created in USWest3. I am able to publish them to both regions with the republish command. Now when I clone the image (as a version or image), I can only clone it to USWest3. I will be decommissioning USWest3 as a capacity provider. I will need to be able to manage the images from my new capacity, USWest2. 

Any ideas on how to accomplish that, short of building new images?

Thx,

Dan

If this was using the native Azure compute galleries, it's easy to move the location to another region but I am unsure how Horizon Cloud next-gen will deal with that if it was moved from the Azure side. My best advice is to open a support ticket with Omnissa to find out the supported method to do that, if any.

Here are the steps is you want to migrate your images to a new shared image gallery in Azure:

1. Create a new image and publish it to your new region. This will create a new Gallery in the new region. (This step is required once)
  2. In the old Gallery, navigate to the image you want to replicate. Select the version you want to replicate and click "Create VM"
  3. Create this VM in the new region. The critical step here is you need to deploy it to the "Base VMs" Resource Group (vmw-hcs-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-base-vms)
  4. Once the VM is operational, import it into Horizon using the ‘Import Customer VM’ setting and then publish it in the new region. Note - this will remove the VM you created in step 2 from your Azure VM inventory
  5. Remove the image created in step 1, if you don't have any use for it
Hope that helps someone in the future
  • Thanks 1