Learn how easy it is to use the Workspace ONE UEM REST APIs

• Employee

It can seem frustrating to have a great idea that you know will help make your administration life easier, or satisfy the need to extract data from Workspace ONE UEM, but to get to your goal you need to learn a programming language.

Why not give this video a watch.  It shows a very simple use case achieved by using the Workspace ONE UEM REST APIs, and the app is written in Python (or at least a dialect of Python). The app has a lot of very useful comments throughout making it easy for a beginner to follow along even if you have never written any Python code yourself.

The code itself is on GitHub here. It is ready to run and has step-by-step instructions to get you going fast.

The video explaining it all is here:

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

• Employee

@Michael I agree they are under-utilised. Below are a few of the examples of how I've seen customers and partners use our APIs to get others thinking about how these can be used in their organisation:

• I've seen large retailers integrate UEM with other systems to automate the creation and deletion of organisation groups as they open and close stores.
  • Managed Service Providers with large quantities of customers leverage the APIs to determine changes in enrolled counts and enrolled platforms.
  • WS1 Assist sessions can be launched via API removing the need for helpdesk teams to have access to UEM. 
  • Service Providers have defined templates for new customer environments. Automation and integration with the APIs allow Service Providers to then orchestrate some of the environment-build processes.
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Trutch said:

@Michael I agree they are under-utilised. Below are a few of the examples of how I've seen customers and partners use our APIs to get others thinking about how these can be used in their organisation:

• I've seen large retailers integrate UEM with other systems to automate the creation and deletion of organisation groups as they open and close stores.
  • Managed Service Providers with large quantities of customers leverage the APIs to determine changes in enrolled counts and enrolled platforms.
  • WS1 Assist sessions can be launched via API removing the need for helpdesk teams to have access to UEM. 
  • Service Providers have defined templates for new customer environments. Automation and integration with the APIs allow Service Providers to then orchestrate some of the environment-build processes.

I love all of these, especially the Assist session. That's a great idea. 

• Employee

I use the UEM API's with pretty much every customer I have worked with. I prefer to use PowerShell though since my Python scripting is limited. Here are some examples that I have created API scripts for:

• Adding devices to a Smart Group
  • Updating Smart Group criteria
  • Adding Tags to Devices
  • Uploading Internal applications to the console
  • Checking in/out devices
  • Bulk Deleting devices
  • Bulk deleting accounts
  • Removing duplicate devices (device has unenrolled and re-enrolled resulting in new device record)
  • Getting device lists
  • Forcing a sensor sync in bulk (useful when waiting for sensor execution to occur)

And if anyone wants it, there are a couple of PowerShell API templates here to get you started: https://github.com/GlynDobson/WorkspaceONE/tree/main/API/UEM

API documentation can be found here: https://{console URL}/api/help/

If you're SaaS, take a look here on how to create an oAuth client for use with the API's: https://docs.omnissa.com/bundle/WorkspaceONE-UEM-Console-BasicsVSaaS/page/UsingUEMFunctionalityWithRESTAPI.html#create_an_oauth_client_to_use_for_api_commands_saas

• Like 1

I think the other part of the API that gets overlooked is reporting outside of WorkspaceOne UEM and Intelligence.  We have a lot of complex interconnected services that all use WorkspaceOne and to be able to get the reporting data out (Device, OS, Patching, Admins, Roles, etc) in order to build a better overview of our estate.  Being able to pull all that into PowerBI has been very useful to get a good feel for overall health of the estate.