The Advantage of Omnissa during the IT global meltdown

• Administrators

Last week the whole Omnissa Compete and Technical Marketing team (CATM) were in Atlanta for a team offsite where we had a great week meeting each other some for the first time not only in Atlanta but in America, this is a global team so coming together was great. Then after a great night finishing the week at Top Golf, we all woke up on Friday morning to head to the airport and started to see the effects of a patch gone wrong.

I was first contacted by one of my team at 4:30 am to say her flight had been canceled, over the next hour it was clear this was not going to just affect one person but the whole team was hit by cancelations or delays, we knew this was not going to be a fun travel day.

I was at the airport when something special started to happen, the whole Omnissa team started to come together to start helping our customers, not just the newly formed CATM team but Product Managers, Engineering, Customer Support, and Product Marketing all wanted to get information out quickly to help.

Using the power of the newly released Omnissa Community we first released a post that would help our Horizon Desktop users quickly revert to a working desktop. https://community.omnissa.com/forums/topic/67636-mitigating-the-crowdstrike-outage-for-horizon-pools/

For physical machines that were having the blue screen issue, this is where Omnissa Workspace ONE customers benefitted. Unlike other UEM vendors that leverage Microsoft API’s for BitLocker management Workspace ONE UEM decided to take a different approach and we decided to build our own solution for BitLocker management. The first benefit our customers get from this solution is, unlike our competitor’s solutions this comes at no extra cost so from day one Workspace ONE UEM customers are getting the benefit. The second huge benefit came on Friday when our customers we able to easily recover their BitLocker recovery keys quickly to get back up and running. The Omnissa team again took full advantage of the community to quickly get the following instructions out to our customers. https://community.omnissa.com/forums/topic/67641-recovering-bitlocker-key-for-windows-devices-impacted-by-crowdstrike-update/

For even more on this feature you can check out this Tech Zone article https://techzone.omnissa.com/resource/enabling-bitlocker-encryption-remote-windows-devices-workspace-one-operational-tutorial#introduction

If that wasn’t enough, for our customers using our DEX solution we released the following community post helping them identify any desktop that was impacted, you can see that update here https://community.omnissa.com/forums/topic/67643-determining-devices-impacted-by-crowdstrike-update/

Summary

In summary yes Friday was a day like no other in the IT industry and many people were affected around the world. I have been in the IT industry for over 30 years now and it was amazing to see our teams come together so quickly even though many were being impacted and had the same issues as customers at airports trying to get home to their families. It was also amazing to see the true power of the Omnissa product stack to help our customers so quickly.

We are now an independent company, and I truly believe there is no other company that could have done what Omnissa did throughout Friday to help our customers and partners recover as quickly as we did.

I look forward to what’s to come in the coming weeks and years and how our exciting new company and software will continue to help customers.

• Like 10

Dale Carter, 

Director, Compete and Technical Marketing

Customer and Competitive Strategy Team