Horizon Client MacOS blank screen

Rico

Sometimes after reconnection an existing session, the screen goes blank. This issue only occurs on a MacOS device. 

* Affecting multiple devices / users. On the internet more people have complained about this issue.

* Multiple client versions (for example 2312 and 2406)

* Issue persists on multiple desktop pools (I don’t have application pools)

Is this a known issue? As a workaround I change some display settings and re-open the client.

IMG_3178.jpeg

Edited by Rico
Added more information + workaround

8 hours ago, Rob Beekmans said:

there are many reasons this could happen.. if it is random, I would look at network related issues. Here is a good article from @StephenWagner7 about this https://www.stephenwagner.com/2020/04/04/vmware-horizon-blank-black-screen/

Hi @Rob Beekmans,

I will take a look in it. I think it is caused by the DisplayLink Manager driver, but I don’t know sure.

In my case it’s not network related. This issue occurs randomly. For example after unlocking my MacBook.

1 hour ago, Rob Beekmans said:

Black screens are a common issue.. when I used to have a blog, I had several posts about them. the simple order of installing vmtools and agent can cause this.

It is, but we do install the agents in the right order. Thereby this issue does not occurs on Windows devices.

• Employee
On 8/5/2024 at 10:37 AM, Rico said:

Hi @Rob Beekmans,

I will take a look in it. I think it is caused by the DisplayLink Manager driver, but I don’t know sure.

In my case it’s not network related. This issue occurs randomly. For example after unlocking my MacBook.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that it's network related. In my many years of troubleshooting Horizon, it's 9.5/10 times a network issue when you get a black screen. You may be right, but I wouldn't skip past any networking troubleshooting as you're investigating.

1 minute ago, Jack said:

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss that it's network related. In my many years of troubleshooting Horizon, it's 9.5/10 times a network issue when you get a black screen. You may be right, but I wouldn't skip past any networking troubleshooting as you're investigating.

Thanks!!! Hmm.. but it’s not a black black screen if you understand what I mean. I can see the mouse cursor and spinning wheel of the Aero theme of Windows. When I quit the desktop window en re-launch the desktop, most of the time it is working.

When I have the issue again, I will definitely take a look in to our firewalls. 

• Employee
Just now, Rico said:

Thanks!!! Hmm.. but it’s not a black black screen if you understand what I mean. I can see the mouse cursor and spinning wheel of the Aero theme of Windows. When I quit the desktop window en re-launch the desktop, most of the time it is working.

When I have the issue again, I will definitely take a look in to our firewalls. 

I hear what you're saying, but black or blank - if the pixels aren't coming through it is usually something disrupting that stream. You may also ensure that you're not passing through any devices on the Mac that could cause Windows to freak out.

1 minute ago, Jack said:

I hear what you're saying, but black or blank - if the pixels aren't coming through it is usually something disrupting that stream. You may also ensure that you're not passing through any devices on the Mac that could cause Windows to freak out.

When the issue appears I will take a look in to the HZ client log files too.. maybe there is some hint!