Will vSphere HA protect Instant Clone VMs?

any_guy

Hello,

this is somewhat related to:

Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to set up a couple of hosts and test this. Has anyone experienced a host failure in a cluster running instant clone VMs? With vSphere HA enabled, if the VMs on the failed host are powered on a working host, will that work with Instant Clones? Specifically, will Horizon be aware that the location of those VMs has changed, or will they just go into the 'missing' state?

Cheers,

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, any_guy said:

Hello,

this is somewhat related to:

Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to set up a couple of hosts and test this. Has anyone experienced a host failure in a cluster running instant clone VMs? With vSphere HA enabled, if the VMs on the failed host are powered on a working host, will that work with Instant Clones? Specifically, will Horizon be aware that the location of those VMs has changed, or will they just go into the 'missing' state?

Cheers,

I've never seen any official documentation on this matter, but I've had the thought as well.

Technically, with HA, the VMs would get restarted, however since the user isn't logged on they wouldn't be resumable, I'm pretty sure these VMs wouldn't be marked as available, and would either be orphaned and/or shutdown/destroyed.

Without HA, if the user attempted to re-connect, I believe they would just get whatever VM is available in their associated pool, therefore you wouldn't be wasting resources on starting HA VMs only to be orphaned and/or destroyed.

Would love for an official response though, or a reference to some documentation.

In a persistent environment, you'd most definitely want HA enabled if you can support it.

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

1 hour ago, StephenWagner7 said:

I've never seen any official documentation on this matter, but I've had the thought as well.

Technically, with HA, the VMs would get restarted, however since the user isn't logged on they wouldn't be resumable, I'm pretty sure these VMs wouldn't be marked as available, and would either be orphaned and/or shutdown/destroyed.

Without HA, if the user attempted to re-connect, I believe they would just get whatever VM is available in their associated pool, therefore you wouldn't be wasting resources on starting HA VMs only to be orphaned and/or destroyed.

Would love for an official response though, or a reference to some documentation.

In a persistent environment, you'd most definitely want HA enabled if you can support it.

For the described reasons, we have HA currently turned off in our Horizon Cluster. We are mostly using Instant Clones and I'm afraid HA would cause more problems when turned on.

I would also appreciate an official response on this.