{SOLVED} App Volumes: Unable to find the Packaging machine

D81
Go to solution Solved by Jubish Jose,

Hi

I have recently installed an App volumes server (last version 2406)

• After its initial configuration I've crated a VM with windows 11 for packaging purpose. The VM has the latest windows updates and I've installed on it the App volumes agent from the App Volumes ISO
  • During the agent installation the wizzard asks me to set the appvolums hostname + default port 443 + dont validate certificate (also tested with validate certificate)
  • Then after the agent installation finished the VM restarted. 
  • Then on the App vol Server Manager I created a test application (notepad++) and then a package called Notepad.
  • Later I select the "package" option to start the package and I was asked to select the Packaging machine, however I cant find it. The list of machines is always blank.

image.png.1118054e33981b9a4b6e7911021e4146.png

Notice that the packaging machine is powered ON and it is not joined to the domain (should I join it?).

I've tried by reinstalling App Vol agent and setting the Appvol server by IP instead of hostname but it didnt fix the issue. There is no way to find the package machine on the App vol manager,so I cant launch the package process.

This customer has lots of network restrictions so I assume there is some missing opened port but on the Omnissa documentation the only ports requested are 443 or 80 or 5985 and both are oppened on the server side. I think there are no more ones needed for this feature. Can you please tell me if there is any othe ports on the VM package machine that should be opened?

Also could it be related with SSL? The App Volpro has SSL from the AD CA. I have installed the CA cert on the W11 package machine and it works fine (when I connect to the app volume server via browser it shows https valid cert).

Thanks

Edited by D81
solved

• Employee

Hello, 

Yes, the packaging machine must be domain joined and an appropriate version of the App Volumes agent must be installed. 

Check in your AVM Admin UI if the VM shows up under Directory>Computers. If the machine is missing from the list, then it will not be available when you create the package. 
image.png.828af312c5f69985c8263624e0425210.png

If its missing, make sure you can ping the virtual machine and resolve the DNS name of the VM. There must be a Computer Object in AD also. 

• Insightful 1

On 9/6/2024 at 6:52 AM, Jubish Jose said:

Try joining the packaging machine to the same domain as that of the app volumes manager. I think it's a requirement.

I would agree that this is a requirement, HOWEVER lol, if you want to for whatever reason, you can show non-domain joined machines by flipping a switch in the settings on the App Volumes Manager (it'll show non-domain joined systems).

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

After joininig the packaging machine to the AD, the App Vol manager was able to locate the package machine.

Bytheway, before joining the domain I had tried by allowing non domain computers on the manager settings as @StephenWagner7 suggested on his comment, however that didnt fix the issue. 

Anyway, it has being solved! Thanks

Edited by D81

• D81 changed the title to {SOLVED} App Volumes: Unable to find the Packaging machine