Horizon + FSLogix clearing and exclusions

D81

Hi

Im implementing an horizon 8 enviroment with instant clones + FSlogix to store the configurations of the user profiles. Initialy we are not using Office containers, so everything will be stored by default on the FSLogix container (The user will also use GPO for folder redirection).

So in order to avoid a big growing of the default FSlogix container, based on your experience what folders would you add to the exclusion list for FSlogix? Would you create a specific "clearing" script to be launched during the logoff? If so, what would you include on that script?

Thanks in advance

Hi

1. We disabled caching mode and pst files for Outlook
  2. Exluded folders with browsers cache and other software logs.
    For example:
    AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache for Chrome
    AppData\Roaming\ZoomVDI\logs for Zoom
    etc
  3. Tuned GPO to clear browsers cache when closing a browser
Edited by Alex Karibov
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing...

I plan to use GPO or DEM for folder redirection and use it for My documents, Desktop, Images and probably nothing else. The rest of the folders would be excluded from FSlogix so when the user log off the Instant clone will destroy them.

When using FSLogix Profile containers, I'd also recommend using Folder Redirection so that the user's folders are redirected separately.

This way, the folders (Desktop, MyDocs, Downloads, etc) don't contribute to the FSLogix Profile container size. Additionally, if you're using folder redirection, you benefit from VSS snapshots on your file server.

Having these separate, if the FSLogix profile container ever becomes corrupt, the user will not lose their folders, whereas if they were included, they may.

• Like 1

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

If you have a simple environment and haven't deployed DEM, then you could use GPO. If you want a more powerful way to configure user settings and environment settings, and more granular control over applying different settings to users, you could use DEM 🙂 

• Like 1

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com