Creating RDSH Farm

chrischay

Hi,

I am in the process of creating an RDSH farm in my Horizon View. As I am following through the creation wizard, at the select the snapshot portion, somehow the snapshot of my golden image is not showing up. 

I checked the Horizon documentation, and according to the documentation "If no value appears in the Carbon Black Scan (% Complete) column, that indicates that the Carbon Black sensor was not enabled in the Instant Clone golden image when the snapshot was taken".

Now my questions are, what is this Carbon Black has to do with my setup? First of all we did not use and deploy Carbon Black. Why is it checking Carbon Black scanning? We are using Windows 2022 as our RDSH servers?

Any thoughts?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few reasons why a snapshot or golden image might not show up in Horizon Administrator.

The Carbon Black items that the documentation refers to are specific to customers that were running the Carbon Black security software in their golden images, and there were some integrations built into vSphere for that product.  This was a security company that VMware acquired a few years ago and has since been merged into Symantec.  It is probably not relevant to your environment.

Its more likely that Horizon feels the RDSH snapshot you're trying to deploy is not compatible or ready for Horizon.  There should be a checkbox on the screen to show incompatible images.  IIRC you check that box to list all of your snapshots and and see a reason why it can't be used.

Sean Massey
Independent Consultant/Analyst/Blogger | VCDX-EUC 247
Vice Chairman of the Board - World of EUC
Blog: thevirtualhorizon.com  Mastodon: @seanpmassey@vmst.io Instagram/Thread:
@seanpmassey LI: https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanpmassey/

I also created a Windows 2019 as my golden image for the RDSH farm. Same thing the snapshot is not showing up.

I didn't see a checkbox on the screen to show incompatible images nor I see a box to check to list all of the snapshots and see a reason why it can't be used.

If the snapshots are not showing up, then there is definitely something wrong with them when Horizon scans them.

A couple of quick things to check that have burned me in the past:

1. The VM is powered off before taking the snapshot

2. The Remote Desktop Session Host role is installed on the image

You can also open a ticket with Omnissa support to have them review the logs and tell you why Horizon is rejecting the snapshot.

23 minutes ago, chrischay said:

I didn't see a checkbox on the screen to show incompatible images nor I see a box to check to list all of the snapshots and see a reason why it can't be used.

I know this used to be there.  But the UI might have changed in some way.

Sean Massey
Independent Consultant/Analyst/Blogger | VCDX-EUC 247
Vice Chairman of the Board - World of EUC
Blog: thevirtualhorizon.com  Mastodon: @seanpmassey@vmst.io Instagram/Thread:
@seanpmassey LI: https://www.linkedin.com/in/seanpmassey/

As Sean Massey Commented correctly, there should be a checkbox to 'Show All Golden Images' while creating the farm, which will explain exactly why a snapshot can't be used. I will be surprised if its not showing...

Edited by Jubish Jose