What causes New Teams not to show up for some users

Hello,

We installed New Teams on Gold Image. However sometimes the app does not show up at all in the Start Menu.

We are using VMWare DEM.

Sometimes deleting Classic Teams app capture fixes it, sometimes we have to Wipe Default Apps and FTAS and log off and log in, it will show.

Wondering what exactly is causing this?

I won't recommend running both classic Teams and new Teams on VDI together. We have it on one of our pools and it causes conflict sometimes.

Is it not showing when you search for the app in the start menu? Does it show if you open start menu and scroll down?

• Employee

Not sure what is causing your issue as it sounds like sometimes it is showing up and then other times it is not.

You may want to create a shortcut for the new Teams client in DEM, probably on the Desktop.

Create a new shortcut and define the target as

%localappdata%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ms-teams.exe

image.png.a8e225ffcf7de877053cc2646278a067.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Graeme,

This is not a solution since Teams does not exist in that path. It seems that New Team does not get loaded for some users at all. I traced it down to something in DEM but not sure exactly which line is causing issues. I've seen many reports of this online. Still have not found a solution. 

I have to 2nd the comment regarding not trying to use both Classic and New.

In all the new deployments I'm doing, if you just provision New Teams (without co-existence), it generally runs just fine. The big gotcha is to make sure you're not removing Teams using the OSOT tool (the new OSOT tool released in the past couple weeks has an option to keep new Teams).

If you do remove Teams with OSOT, it won't get provisioned to users desktops on profile load.

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

Posted (edited)

I have a gold image where Classic Teams is removed, behaviour is still the same, it looks like the appx of New Teams is not registered for some users. I have made sure OSOT is not touching the store apps, have not even ran OSOT since deploying New Teams actually. Good to know there is a new version.

Seems I can run a powershell command to force New Teams to show up.

Add-AppxPackage -MainPackage "MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe" -RegisterByFamilyName

I would really like to find what in DEM is breaking it from showing up.

Something is getting captured.

Edited by Milan KTG

• Employee

Hello, 

If DEM captures the below registry key, it will prevent New MS Teams from showing up on the desktop. Check the FTA association configuration file as it might capture it if you use an old config template. 

'HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserSignedIn'

• Insightful 1