Windows 11 23H2 - Start Menu, Account Icon Behavior Warning

StephenWagner7

You could say this is a heads up, as well as an attempt to start a conversation on the topic.

In the past week or so, new deployments of Windows 11 23H2 images with the latest updates have changed the behavior of the start menu. This also effects 24H2, however 24H2 isn't supported on Horizon as of yet (to my knowledge), so we don't need to talk about 24H2 but it will be a concern for future support.

Behavior: When clicking on Start, then the user name, users are no longer prompted with options like "Sign out, Switch User, Account Settings". Users are now presented with the new "Microsoft Account Center", which on non-vdi deployments provides actions for the Microsoft Account.

Users, who are expecting to be able to sign out, will not have to click on the "..." on the top right.

image.png.51fea2bdda02adea1c7902f2f388686f.png

Additional behaviors are observed:

1. On the base image, clicking the user icon will do nothing (and may possibly kill the start menu)
  2. In deployments with Hybrid domain joined Instant Clones
    1. If the machine hasn't achieved Hybrid Domain Join, clicking the user account icon will function.
    2. If the machine has Hybrid domain joined but a PRT has not been issued, click the user account icon will kill the start menu.
    3. If the machine has Hybrid domain joined and a PRT has been issued, it will perform properly using the new style.
  3. In deployments with Hybrid Domain Joining and PRT disabled, the new "Microsoft Account Center" from the user icon, should function properly with the new style.

As of now, I haven't seen the latest Windows Updates change older base images, but I haven't sampled enough to know, so just be aware. If this occurs, you may need to brief users on how to log out using the new "Microsoft Account Center", using the "Log Off" function on the Horizon Client, or possibly even create a desktop shortcut for the users.

If anyone knows how to modify/disable the new Microsoft Account center, please feel free to chime in. Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

Adding a blog post which I will keep updated, hopefully with a fix eventually:

Windows 11 Microsoft Account Center - The Tech Journal (stephenwagner.com) 

• Insightful 2

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

• 3 weeks later...