Windows Error Message after upgrade

Super6VCA

Needed to upgrade Win11 version from 21H2 to a version that can be updated.  My desktop could not be upgraded any further.  After building and optimizing my new desktop, all my desktops get an error message as soon as desktop is loaded.  The error is Explorer.exe - System Error  The system detected a stack-based buffer in this application.  The overrun potentially allow a malicious user to gain control...  I get this error now on EVERY desktop i try to deploy.  I tried a few things when i looked up the error but they are all windows fixes.  i don't believe that windows is causing it.  I get  this on 22H2 Pro, 22H2 ENT, and 23H2 ENT.  Once again this only happens once i deploy a new pool.  Never had this error on 2206.  Now that i am on 2312.1  and still have it every time.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

View OS error.jpg

Thank you, Perry

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Super6VCA said:

Needed to upgrade Win11 version from 21H2 to a version that can be updated.  My desktop could not be upgraded any further.  After building and optimizing my new desktop, all my desktops get an error message as soon as desktop is loaded.  The error is Explorer.exe - System Error  The system detected a stack-based buffer in this application.  The overrun potentially allow a malicious user to gain control...  I get this error now on EVERY desktop i try to deploy.  I tried a few things when i looked up the error but they are all windows fixes.  i don't believe that windows is causing it.  I get  this on 22H2 Pro, 22H2 ENT, and 23H2 ENT.  Once again this only happens once i deploy a new pool.  Never had this error on 2206.  Now that i am on 2312.1  and still have it every time.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

View OS error.jpg

Hi @Super6VCA,

Did you follow the proper deployment method for the new Windows 11 image, using Windows ADK and WinPE (so that the image can be deployed without a vTPM)?

Because of the requirements to create a Windows 11 VM without vTPM, you cannot upgrade as the upgrade will fail since the base image doesn't have a vTPM.

If you did deploy the base image using the proper guidance, can you let us know what you've installed on the VM? As well as versions of the Horizon agent, and any other components that are related.

Cheers

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

I did the install manually.  i deployed many Win 11 desktops in my days.  i did however remove the TPM prior to creating the snapshot to deploy.  I followed the KB article on creating and optimizing a desktop.  Actually tried it with and without TPM and get the same results.  This error message doen't come up on the master image at all.  Only when i push out a new image.  If there is a different KB to follow please let me know.  At this point i will try anything

Edited by Super6VCA
Thank you, Perry

A vTPM, once added to a Windows 11 instance, should never be removed.

For proper deployment, you must use Windows ADK and WinPE to deploy a Windows 11 base image without a vTPM (as in, never attaching it).

Instructions here: Deploy Windows 11 in virtual machine using bootable Windows PE (WinPE) Image (broadcom.com)

NOTE: In step 5, skip the "copy Unattend.xml C:\test\mount\" as you don't want to use this (it's an optional step).

Once you do this, create your WinPE media, and install Windows 11, you can continue to use the TechZone article on how to create a base image.

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com