Microsoft Teams 2.1

Official Microsoft VDI Support page: New Microsoft Teams for Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Learn

This policy works for non-persistent pools, and the ZIP files will average around 30MB.  Microsoft is still making changes to the Teams client, so you have to update the exclusions as the client is updated.  Microsoft has a section that discusses the folders, and what they are used for, which I thought was nice of them. 

Official Folder Exclusions:   https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-vdi-requirements-deploy#folder-exclusions

Direct-Flex still does not work well with New Teams (as of 6/2024), so do not use it.

# 'New Teams' 2.1 Policy
#
[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe

[IncludeFiles]
# Official Files to sync from Microsoft's New Teams Deployment Site
<LocalAppData>\Publishers\8wekyb3d8bbwe\TeamsSharedConfig\tma_settings.json
<LocalAppData>\Publishers\8wekyb3d8bbwe\TeamsSharedConfig\app_switcher_settings.json

[IncludeFolderTrees]
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe

[ExcludeFolderTrees]
# Official Exclusions from Microsoft's New Teams Deployment Site
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\Logs
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\PerfLog
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\WebStorage
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\GPUCache

# Additional Exclusions
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\Crashpad
# <LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\GrShaderCache
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Cache
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Code Cache
#<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\IndexedDB
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Service Worker\CacheStorage
#<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Service Worker\ScriptCache

To install New Teams in your golden image. 

Download the new Microsoft Teams Bootstrapper:  https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2243204&clcid=0x409 

On your persistent or non-persistent VM, run the following command as an administrator: teamsbootstrapper.exe -p

For local path MSIX install method, enter: .\teamsbootstrapper.exe -p -o "c:\path\to\teams.msix"

ref: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/new-teams-bulk-install-client 

New Teams: MSIX downloads: https://github.com/ItzLevvie/MicrosoftTeams-msinternal/blob/master/defconfig2 if you need the offline installer, or want to test a newer build.

Edited by John Twilley
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi John. Thanks for the DEM Config file. Works pretty good.
But, I have tested some of the general settings in teams, and as far as I can see, is that if the setting "Auto-start application" is checked, Teams will start and pop up during logon. And teams will also run from systray. I know that some of my users sees that a time consuming startup...
If it is unchecked, teams will not start at all, and not even in the systray.
Is there a way, to start Teams in the background, so teams do not pop up during logon, but only appear as logged-in in the systray?
I tried the "open application in background", but I can't see that works as I first assumed

Best regards
Lansti
Horizon 2209, DEM 2209,AppVols 4, version 2212
Windows 10 22H2, FSLogix 2.9.7979.62170

Not at this time. 

Microsoft explained in the Teams 2.1 Tap Program that for Omnissa Horizon, it needs to popup in the foreground as it establishes the back optimization channels, and then will move to the background once completed. 

Not a great solution.  I hope it improves in future builds.

• Thanks 1

Do you know of anyway to make it stay open on logon instead of popping up and going to the systray? Our users are used to classic teams where it stays open at logon and easily found instead of hidden in the systray.

On 8/12/2024 at 3:25 PM, DFMIT said:

Do you know of anyway to make it stay open on logon instead of popping up and going to the systray? Our users are used to classic teams where it stays open at logon and easily found instead of hidden in the systray.

Do user have Open Application in Background checked?

@Milan KTG
I had the same issue and fixed this bij removing the following:

[ExcludeFolderTrees]
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\GPUCache

DEM will now start saving this location as well. I tried with multiple logins and Teams keeps working.

On 8/23/2024 at 7:19 AM, Niels Geursen said:

@Milan KTG
I had the same issue and fixed this bij removing the following:

[ExcludeFolderTrees]

DEM will now start saving this location as well. I tried with multiple logins and Teams keeps working.

Thanks Niels,

Mine broke again after 5-6 logins with same error.

Capture is copy/pasted from main post and removed the line you mentioned.

Yours is still good?

Also running into the very same issue and curious if anyone has a working config. We're on Windows Server 2019 with a Citrix non-persistent VDI and using Ivanti Environment Manager (basically mirrors the above DEM config) but plagued with the same login issues.

@Niels Geursen

I tested it about 10 times and no errors.

However our capture size is around 90mb for a very basic account, 1-2 chats.

I am adding our capture below.

We are actually toying around with not capturing anything for New Teams, so far no issues since we have SSO. User does not get prompted to login, Teams just launches. not really sure of the benefit to capture it right now.

Here is our full capture that works right now;

# MS Teams v2

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

[IncludeFolderTrees]

<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

[IncludeFiles]
<LocalAppData>\Publishers\8wekyb3d8bbwe\TeamsSharedConfig\tma_settings.json
<LocalAppData>\Publishers\8wekyb3d8bbwe\TeamsSharedConfig\app_switcher_settings.json

[ExcludeFolderTrees]
# Official Exclusions from Microsoft's New Teams Deployment Site
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\Logs
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\PerfLog
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\WebStorag
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\indexedDB
# Additional Exclusions
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\Crashpad
# <LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\GrShaderCache
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Cache
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Code Cache
#<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\IndexedDB
<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Service Worker\CacheStorage
#<LocalAppData>\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\EBWebView\WV2Profile_tfw\Service Worker\ScriptCache

[ExcludeFiles]
old_logs_*.txt
logs.txt
LOG
LOG.old
*.log
*.txt

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the capturing settings, also for the extra line marked out. 

Only thing left disable the autostart of teams. Seems it will not read the line HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\ name TeamsTfwStartupTask value 1 regdword

Our users do not want teams to open automaticly. Will post back if we find a solution. We are planning on putting that key in the default user of the golden image.

Senior technical specialst at Leiden University Medical Center (lumc)