DEM published shortcuts are blank

vap0r
Go to solution Solved by vap0r,

So I went through my normal process of monthly updates on my instant clone template (Windows & browser updates) and for some reason when I publish the snapshot all of my shortcuts deployed via DEM are showing up without the actual icon file (white blank icon).

I've verified that snapshots prior to the MS updates the icon files show up fine. Anyone else experiencing this or have any idea what to try to resolve?

Running Windows 10 instant clones with DEM 10.10.0.1113.  (in the process of doing a test snapshot with a newer version to see if that helps)

• Solution
On 7/29/2024 at 7:27 AM, John Twilley said:

I read somewhere that the July Windows update was the cause of this...and only if the icon image was in a remote network share.  You could try copying down the Icons via DEM Files/Folders and changing it to point locally.

Yep, it was related to something MS must've changed in July updates. I was able to track down the fix on Reddit.

Here are the notes that I took and applied to our environment to resolve:

Added the following setting to GPO:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer > Allow the use of remote paths in file shortcut icons  (Changed from Not Configured to Enabled)
 - This change fixes the issue with the July MS updates breaking the icon files for DEM placed shortcuts that are pulling from network shares.

• Like 1