New Teams and FSLogix on Horizon

Anyone with non-persistent and FSLogix make the transition from Classic Teams to New Teams seamlessly yet?

We run Horizon Cloud next-gen with non-persistent desktops and FSLogix Profile Containers (Latest Hotfix 4) and we are struggling with the transition to New Teams from Classic Teams.

Issues with FSLogix not registering New Teams upon first logon after pushing the new image with New Teams on it (Classic Teams removed). Seems like we might have to just attempt to do a run once in DEM or something for the Add-AppxPackage to register it.

Issues with the msteams protocols not registering and taking over for Classic Teams so things like Join Online in Outlook work first try without a prompt for the end user.

Seems like a lot of profile cleanup is also needed once moved over, will be lots of registry and appdata cleanup to save some space on each profile.

We just did this last week. We use on-prem as well as next-gen with FSLogix.

For us, it worked fine for Windows 11 images. But for Windows 10, new Teams was unresponsive, so we had to use DEM to register it once. 

We had another set of users where we installed both classic and new Teams where the launch worked fine, but it introduced other issues.

I've seen this working great with Windows 11 non persistent VDI and FSlogix, in environments where classic teams was never installed.

In environments that once had Classic Teams, and/or are running both, I commonly see issues.

Have you tried creating a new golden image?

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

We are having users that is running Classic Teams currently that we need to migrate to new teams. We are using FSLogix HF4

This is what i'm going to try deploy to a couple of test users. In my testing this seems to work to allow new teams to start, the outlook integration is also working and i'm able to join meetings from outlook meetings

powershell -ExecutionPolicy bypass -Command "Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSTeams_24165.1414.2987.41_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml';Remove-Item 'HKCU:\Software\Classes\TeamsURL' -Recurse;Remove-Item 'HKCU:\Software\Classes\ms-teams' -Recurse;Remove-Item 'HKCU:\Software\Classes\msteams' -Recurse"

Using VMware DEM to deploy it as a logon task with a condition to check if new teams exists on the non-persistent VDI, by reg key
HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications\MSTeams_24165.1414.2987.41_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

It isn't beautiful with static versionnumbers but will work for us with a short transition period

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2024 at 10:20 AM, Virtual_Leo said:

We are having users that is running Classic Teams currently that we need to migrate to new teams. We are using FSLogix HF4

This is what i'm going to try deploy to a couple of test users. In my testing this seems to work to allow new teams to start, the outlook integration is also working and i'm able to join meetings from outlook meetings

powershell -ExecutionPolicy bypass -Command "Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register 'C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSTeams_24165.1414.2987.41_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml';Remove-Item 'HKCU:\Software\Classes\TeamsURL' -Recurse;Remove-Item 'HKCU:\Software\Classes\ms-teams' -Recurse;Remove-Item 'HKCU:\Software\Classes\msteams' -Recurse"

Using VMware DEM to deploy it as a logon task with a condition to check if new teams exists on the non-persistent VDI, by reg key
HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications\MSTeams_24165.1414.2987.41_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

It isn't beautiful with static versionnumbers but will work for us with a short transition period

Yeah, we had planned on using just "Add-AppxPackage -RegisterByFamilyName -MainPackage MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue" - This seemed to work for us. I do like the removal of those HKCU protocols, we noticed those had to be touched as well.

Glad I wasn't the only one out there having issues and finding out all these things were needed.

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2024 at 7:50 AM, StephenWagner7 said:

I've seen this working great with Windows 11 non persistent VDI and FSlogix, in environments where classic teams was never installed.

In environments that once had Classic Teams, and/or are running both, I commonly see issues.

Have you tried creating a new golden image?

Brand new FSLogix profiles didn't seem to have any issues, seems related to FSLogix more so than the image. From our testing anyway.

Wish we were already on 11 but still rocking 10 22H2, unfortunately

Edited by VDINinja3

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone share their working FSLogix redirections.xml? I've been fighting with New Teams in our Horizon (IC) environment for quite awhile and it seems my last remaining hurdle is the time it takes New Teams to actually load at login. Sometimes it'll load in a reasonable timeframe, somtimes it'll take several minutes.

I've opened a ticket with Microsoft to make sure that I wasn't missing anything, had our network team look and make sure no urls were getting blocked, etc. Sometimes it just hangs.

Edited by vap0r