Trying to "pre-populate" DEM with captured settings from Ivanti Workspace

Our current Citrix environment uses Ivanti Workspace Control to manage shortcuts, printers and user-specific application settings (Chrome settings/bookmarks, Word Quickparts, etc.).  Our new user environment will be Horizon VDI using Windows 11 and DEM(hopefully).  We were wanting to make the switchover as easy on the end-user as possible, so we thought we could install DEM & Ivanti Workspace on the master image and use this in a separate Desktop Pool.  The thought process is that a user logs into this pool, Ivanti kicks in like normal and loads all the familiar settings from their previously saved Ivanti Workspace profile.  Meanwhile, since this would be a new user to DEM, it has nothing to do and sits there.  Because we have most of the same capture settings from Ivanti replicated in DEM, we were thinking that those folders, files and registry keys have been restored by Ivanti,  that when we sign out, DEM will kick in and copy all those settings the users new DEM profile.  Sadly this is not the case.  At the initial login, I see the DEM profile being created and when we signout from the session, I see some DEM settings being captured, but not all.  I guess my first question is, has anyone else attempted something like this?  Are we trying to achieve something that simply isn't going to work due to how DEM functions?  I was thinking that since DEM is configured to look at certain folders/files, that it would see stuff there and save it on exit, but maybe I'm wrong in how it senses what to save.  Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was through the same thing, moving users from IWC to DEM.
I had the same experience until i was looking through the logs and found out that DEM import/export doesn't happen if an application has 'predefined/forced settings'. This might be what you are seeing.

Edited by itaut

DEM has some commandline support you can use for migration.
You can run an export without having to log out. It is a great feature, we use the command-line import to import users local chrome profile to their citrix-session. Something IWC was lacking.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Directflex in the Personalization\windows settings > Google Chrome template. And Export at logoff. I have predefined my own set to keep the exported files as smal as possible.

Hope this helps, cause you can run ivanti agent and flex agent on same machine.

Senior technical specialst at Leiden University Medical Center (lumc)