New blog post - Managing Windows on Amazon WorkSpaces Core — Made Simple with Omnissa

• Employee

Hi everyone,

The following blog shows a sample model including the Omnissa product portfolio running on Amazon WorkSpaces Core instances. 

https://techzone.omnissa.com/blog/managing-windows-amazon-workspaces-core —-made-simple-omnissa

I'd love to hear about your experiences running any or all of these products on WorkSpaces Core. If you're thinking about trying Omnissa products on WorkSpace Core but haven't yet started, please let me know what other content would be beneficial to help you get started. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Josh

• Like 5

Interesting... 

Altough we are not doing anything with Amazon but rather On-Prem and with Microsoft Azure... I do have some questions.

I am wondering if and where we could read more about the Creating your Image and Bundles proces.
I am mostly interested how this proces works and whether it would be possible to use UEM to setup/create an image from scratch and do the initial (base)image configuration.
If this would be possible, and also be possible for On-Prem and/or for Azure, this might help us in reducing/minimizing our currently used custom scripts and perhaps make this process more robust.

Senior Engineer (SDDC, EUC, DBA, Applications) at the Netherlands Cancer Institute - Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital (NKI-AVL)

• Employee

Hi Robin,

We're using Workspace ONE UEM to provision and manage Windows devices. Where those devices run (on prem or in the cloud) generally doesn't matter, though there are of course some nuances between the various VDI/DaaS offerings in the market.

It's important to note the difference between provisioning and imaging. For the purposes of our discussion, imaging is the process of getting Windows installed, and provisioning is the process of staging or configuring a clean installation of Windows. WS1 UEM does not providing imaging, but we do provide provisioning. 

Coming back to your question, we can absolutely use UEM provisioning capabilities to stage your template VMs that contain an existing Windows installation. Last year we published an article with step-by-step instructions to configure your Horizon 8 on vSphere templates with UEM, then automate the process of enrolling the clones for day 2 management.

Enhancements to UEM such as the ability to leave applications installed on unenroll were built to support use cases like this. We have additional features in the works which will further simplify template management and VM enrollment, and the intent is to continue expanding the infrastructure platforms you can use. 

We have customers managing VMs on Amazon and Azure, but it's important to note that not all solutions are supported. For example, Windows 365 requires InTune for MDM enrollment, so those devices can't be enrolled to UEM. However, Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure VMs are extensively managed by WS1 UEM. 

We'll follow up with some additional detail on the Image and Bundle process for Amazon, and the article I listed above should give you a good idea how this translates to Horizon 8 on vSphere. I'd love to hear your feedback on this approach, and if it seems applicable to your use case.

p.s. Be sure to watch the Forums as we've got more content coming about improvements for UEM on virtual devices! 

Thanks,

Josh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Employee

There are 3 parts to a WorkSpaces Bundle; image, Hardware, and Storage. When working with Bring Your Own License (BYOL) in WorkSpaces Core, you create your image outside of AWS (Due to Microsoft Licensing) and import into Amazon. You can read more on that process here - https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vm-import/latest/userguide/vmimport-image-import.html 

Once in AWS, you'll convert to AMI and import the AMI into WorkSpaces Core. - https://docs.aws.amazon.com/workspaces-core/latest/pg/infrastucture-setup.html#import-image 

After you create a custom image, you can build a custom bundle that combines the custom image and the underlying compute and storage configuration that you select. You would then launch/create the WorkSpace and customize it, creating you gold image. This is also a point at which you can use UEM to customize your gold image.  - https://docs.aws.amazon.com/workspaces-core/latest/pg/infrastucture-setup.html#deploy-desktop 

After you create a custom image, you can build a custom bundle that combines the custom image and the underlying compute and storage configuration that you select. You can then specify this custom bundle when you create a new Horizon 8 Automated pool - https://techzone.omnissa.com/resource/deploying-omnissa-horizon-amazon-ec2-and-amazon-workspaces#create-images 

Thanks,
Dan

• Thanks 1