Default apps - Users choice

Lansti
Go to solution Solved by Robin Harmsen,

Hi.

I'm struggelig with users where DEM do not remember their Default App Choice.
Most users in our environment want to use Chrome as default browser, some wants to use Firefox and rest is happy with Edge.
And users who change their default broser to Chrome or Firefox, will have Edge on their next logon.

Chrome and Firefox are installed on an Appstack.

I have created a new Config file - "Use a Windows common setting" - "Default Application - FTA and Protocols" which comes with these settings:

#
# Expanded settings for Windows Common Setting 'Default applications':
#
[SpecialSettings]
DefaultApplications

[IncludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationAssociationToasts\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\[SKIPLOGGING]

[ExcludeRegistryTrees]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\[SKIPLOGGING]
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Software\[SKIPLOGGING]

But this do not work as expected.

Is it because I use AppStacks for other browsers than Edge, and when Windows is loading, it cant find Chrome(because appvolumes are not mounted yet) and then it resets the default browser to Edge?

Best regards
Lansti
Horizon 2209, DEM 2209,AppVols 4, version 2212
Windows 10 22H2, FSLogix 2.9.7979.62170

• Solution
Posted (edited)

I am not sure if this has to do with the apps being in AppStacks, altough I believe it is not.

There is a know issue with default Browser settings and DEM which is caused after certain Microsoft Patches.

See this KB at Broadcom (could not find an more up to date one at Omnissa).
Where a fix/workaround is provided
Issue with DEM FTA and Default Browser settings after applying Microsoft Monthly Windows Patches(KB5035845) (broadcom.com)

We use this fix in our environent after issues with PDF FTAs, but we do not have had any issues/tickets from users with Chrome or Firefox.. and we also have those in AppStacks.

PS. Also found the KB at Omnissa:

Issue with DEM FTA and Default Browser settings after applying Microsoft Monthly Windows Patches(KB5035845) (97169) (omnissa.com)

Edited by Robin Harmsen
  • Thanks 1

Senior Engineer (SDDC, EUC, DBA, Applications) at the Netherlands Cancer Institute - Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital (NKI-AVL)

The patch from Omnissa didn't work in our environment. We disabled the scheduled task Microsoft\windows\AppxDeploymendclient > UCPD velocity

And as many answers we also implemented the registrytweak > 

HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UCPD" -Name "Start" -Value 4 -Type DWord 

After implementing the above the adobe acrobatreader became main choise again. Also you can use the SetFTA.exe again to set other .xxx to programs. Why Microsoft thought it was wise to implement it don't know but it's a pain..

• Like 1

Senior technical specialst at Leiden University Medical Center (lumc)