Black screen while streaming with Blast codecs

virtualblog
Go to solution Solved by Sandro,

Hello community! 

We are facing a strange problem. Users reporting that streaming from Netflix, npo start (dutch) and other streaming platform not works. users are getting a black screen with sound and subtiteles. It is strange that the subtitels are showing without any problems 

When we changed from blast to RDP, Users are able to see the movie or the live stream. 

We are using:

- H.264 and H.265 Codec (HEVC)
- Nvidia  A16-2B and T4
- Blast Codec
- Horizon 2212.2
- Agent 8.8.2-22855861

Does anyone have the same problem? 

Many thanks!

2024-09-03 11_44_34-Live _ NPO Start and 5 more pages - Work - Microsoft Edge.png

Edited by virtualblog

1 hour ago, virtualblog said:

Hello community! 

We are facing a strange problem. Users reporting that streaming from Netflix, npo start (dutch) and other streaming platform not works. users are getting a black screen with sound and subtiteles. It is strange that the subtitels are showing without any problems 

When we changed from blast to RDP, Users are able to see the movie or the live stream. 

We are using:

- H.264 and H.265 Codec (HEVC)
- Nvidia  A16-2B and T4
- Blast Codec
- Horizon 2212.2
- Agent 8.8.2-22855861

Does anyone have the same problem? 

Many thanks!

2024-09-03 11_44_34-Live _ NPO Start and 5 more pages - Work - Microsoft Edge.png

Hey @virtualblog,

Noticed you're using NVIDIA vGPUs. Can you confirm their license mode is activated?

Also, can you open the Horizon Performance tracker and verify that NVENC is being used for the encoder?

I think your issue may be that you're using either MMR or HTML5 redirection, which, while it normally helps non-GPU environments, most orgs would disable MMR and HTML5 redirection for vGPU enabled environments.

Even if you have it enabled, it still should technically work, so in addition to this, you might be having issues with your endpoints not handling it properly.

But first, I'd try disabling MMR and make sure HTML5 redirection is disabled for those sites.

Stephen Wagner (President, Digitally Accurate Inc.)

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

Check out my Tech Blog: https://www.StephenWagner.com

NPO Starts works fine for us/me at the moment.
We use T4-1B profiles, Horizon 2312,  Blast and nVidia drivers 17.1

Could be something with HTML5 redirection or something with older horizon software or perhaps older nVidia drivers..

Senior Engineer (SDDC, EUC, DBA, Applications) at the Netherlands Cancer Institute - Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital (NKI-AVL)

Thanks Robin and Stephen,

Good questions! 

The license mode is activated, HTML5 Multimedia Redirection has been disabled by grouppolicy and the global policy for MMR has been set to Deny. 

My machine has a T4-2b profile. The desktop pool for users used the A16 card, both having the same issue. 

- Grid T4-2B Driver version 538.78
- ESXI Nvidia driver 535.183.04

2024-09-03 13_04_01-Live _ NPO Start and 3 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

1 minute ago, virtualblog said:

Thanks Robin and Stephen,

Good questions! 

The license mode is activated, HTML5 Multimedia Redirection has been disabled by grouppolicy and the global policy for MMR has been set to Deny. 

My machine has a T4-2b profile. The desktop pool for users used the A16 card, both having the same issue. 

- Grid T4-2B Driver version 538.78
- ESXI Nvidia driver 535.183.04

2024-09-03 13_04_01-Live _ NPO Start and 3 more pages - Work - Microsoft Edge.png

Ohhhhhhhh, this is DRM kicking in, lol.

• Haha 1

VMware vExpert (vExpert Pro, vSphere, vSAN Awards), Omnissa Tech Insider, NVIDIA NGCA Advisor, VMUG Leader, and Director (Board of Directors) at World of EUC

At our environment npo start works just fine. we use horizon 2312.X (privat fix for connection server and appvolume managers) and client is 2406. can't figure out fast what profile we use not so much into the hardware more packaging etc

clients use blast protocol

we have this gpo enabled>  

VMware View Agent Configuration/VMware HTML5 Features/VMware WebRTC Redirection Features force client side WebRTC optimization. 
  • Thanks 1

Senior technical specialst at Leiden University Medical Center (lumc)

So I would almost bet that the content has DRM protection. There's a chance that HTML5/MMR might resolve this, but not sure what the experience would be like.

Also, it might be worthwhile fiddling with using the NVIDIA driver, vs the Horizon Indirect Display driver to see if it changes the behavior.

• Thanks 1

Did some testing with the Horizon indirect display driver. After removing the PCI Device, it's working great with Blast (blastCodec) so only in combiabtion with the nvidia driver the issue occurs. 

next step to do is enabling HTML5 redirection and see if it works 😉 

@Hans Straat i can't find the gpo setting to force webRTC. Can you tell me the date of the admx file? ( ours " 13-7-2022")  Yes, i known that is old 🙂

Edited by virtualblog

54 minutes ago, virtualblog said:

Did some testing with the Horizon indirect display driver. After removing the PCI Device, it's working great with Blast (blastCodec) so only in combiabtion with the nvidia driver the issue occurs. 

next step to do is enabling HTML5 redirection and see if it works 😉 

@Hans Straat i can't find the gpo setting to force webRTC. Can you tell me the date of the admx file? ( ours " 13-7-2022")  Yes, i known that is old 🙂

Normally we want the NVIDIA driver if you have a GPU. Can you try enabling the NVIDIA driver, and disable the VMware SVGA driver.,

We also only have the WebRTC redirection enabled, not the full HTML5 redirection.
But as far as I know that is/was only for MS-Teams optimization.

What browser are you using, we use MS-Edge...

PS. I just tried Netflix.. and that works to.

• Insightful 1

Senior Engineer (SDDC, EUC, DBA, Applications) at the Netherlands Cancer Institute - Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital (NKI-AVL)