Monitor Horizon Pools - Alerts and Notifications

any_guy

Hello,

first for the officials: How come Horizon still does not have a native configuration option to setup alerts and notifications when desktop pool statuses change or vm's error out?

secondly; How do you guys monitor your Horizon Pools? The only workaround I'm aware of, is a less then optimal powershell script.

A little rant; This really shouldn't have to be this difficult. We're in 2024, there's toasters and fridges that have the capabilities to setup alerting.

• Thanks 1

Hello @any_guy I'm not a Omnissa employee but I can answer for for the beginning of the discussion. When Horizon was a part of Vmware they offer vrops for monitoring infrastructure and loginsights. In my company we use combo vrops and zabbix. Of course the best tool for monitoring EUC environment's is ControlUP, but this tool is expensive. I think now Omnissa is Independent company which provides new opportunities for the development of this product.

Maybe is good idea to open a feature request for native monitoring on New Tab (aha.io)  If you open I will be first who vote your idea 🙂

• Like 1
  • Celebrate 2

Dominik Jakubowski

EUC Expert  | vExpert
VDI Ninja

https://vdesktop.ninja

We already had Splunk so we leveraged it to provide alerts when a Horizon pool status changes. Horizon having its own built in alerts would be great, but if you have other monitoring tools, look into seeing if they are capable of providing the alerts you are looking for.

• Like 1

Another method that works if you don't have splunk is to have SQL server send an e-mail notification when a Horizon event that matches a specific string shows up.  We send e-mails to both our sysadmins as well as our monitoring MS Teams channel.  We will be shifting to Splunk very soon but the SQL server notifications work fine.

Looks something like this
Aug 21 2024 1:54PM ERROR connsvr.fqdn BROKER_PROVISIONING_ Provisioning error occurred for Machine MACHINENAME: Customization operation timed out com.vmware.vdi.deskt 1 POOLNAME

• Like 1
  • Celebrate 1

Matthew Heldstab
Enterprise Systems Engineer, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
VMUG Vice President | VMware vExpert x10 EUC Champ/vExpert EUC x8
Blog: vmatt.net  TwiX: @mattheldstab  LI: https://www.linkedin.com/in/matt-heldstab-27387a6/

• Employee

Yes @Gerard Strouthyou mean this tool " Horizon Event Notifier " which is now in techzone

https://techzone.omnissa.com/sites/default/files/associated-content/Horizon_Event_Notifier_1.zip

it collects and sends the alerts via email (SMTP) to users that are specified during the configuration process. It allows aggregation of alerts across multiple Horizon View Pods and for near real-time alerting of Horizon 8 a

We have been using Horizon Reach, not sure if that is still available as Fling.

Would be nice to have more 'native' alerting and monitoring within the connection servers or in the universal console.

Senior Engineer (SDDC, EUC, DBA, Applications) at the Netherlands Cancer Institute - Antoni van Leeuwenhoek Hospital (NKI-AVL)